Friday, November 5, 2010

The Imitation Of Christ

Chapter 3

The words of God Are to Be Heard with Humility;

Many Fail to Reflect on Them


Christ: My child, hear My words and follow them; for they are most sweet and far exceed the learning and wisdom of the philosophers and all the wise of the world. My words are spirit and life, and not within the scope of human understanding.
They are not to be adapted or applied to the vain complacency of the hearer, but are to be heard in silence, with humility and reverence, with deep affection and in great tranquility of body and soul.
2. Disciple: Blessed is the person You admonish, O Lord, the person You teach by means of Your law, giving respite in times of misfortune (Ps 94: 12-13), so that such a person may not be left desolate upon the earth.
3. Christ: Then our Lord answered: I have taught Prophets from the beginning and I continue to speak to all persons; but many have hardened their hearts and are deaf to my voice. Many prefer to listen to the world than to God, and to follow the desires of the flesh than the will of God.
The world promises things of short duration and little value; yet with what great eagerness is it served. I promise everlasting things of great value, but human hearts are indifferent and unmoved.
(from) Book 3, Interior Conversation, by Thomas A Kempis

No comments:

Post a Comment